3 killed in attack on soldiers in Kapeeka as another soldier dies in Iganga

FILE Bullet casings

Three people were killed during an attack on police and army officers who were on foot patrol in Kapeeka town, Nakaseke district on Saturday night.

At around 2240hrs, the armed assailants shot dead a Uganda People’s Defense Forces (UPDF) soldier, RA /260979 Pte Obed Tufeyo. The joint security team was foot patrolling a music show at Kapeeka playground according to UPDF spokesperson Brig Gen Felix Kulayigye. He says other soldiers instantly fired back, killing the two assailants, and recovered the gun they’d used in the attack. Kulayigye adds that no weapon was lost by UPDF in the exchange.

“The UPDF and sister security forces have launched a full-scale onslaught on criminals interested in picking rifles to make unpalatable the appetite for gun acquisition. The criminals’ attempts on our forces shall be met with full force,” Kulayigye said in a statement.

The unidentified dead bodies of the assailants have been transferred to Nakaseke hospital whereas the slain UPDF soldier was taken to Bombo Military hospital. Moses Ssenfuma the LC III chairperson of Kapeeka sub-county says the situation remains eerily calm following the attack.

This is the third armed attack against security establishments in the Greater Luwero districts this year. Last month, a group of armed assailants attacked Busiika police station in Luwero district and shot dead two police officers on the spot – with the third police officer dying days later in hospital while another was critically injured. 

Earlier in July this year, assailants attacked policemen at a checkpoint at Kiwumpa village along the Kampala-Gulu highway and stabbed to death one officer and critically injured another and also robbed their two guns in the process.

The motive of the armed attacks on security has been linked to alleged rebel activities against the ruling National Resistance Movement government although some political commentators are accusing the government itself of attacking its own so as to justify a further impending hardened crackdown on the opposition. 

Another soldier succumbs to gun wounds

Meanwhile, another soldier, Pte Osubon Kowe from Mbuya military barracks has succumbed to the injuries he sustained during the joint security operation that led to the arrest of Pte Rodgers Alibuza on Saturday. Kowe was part of the joint security forces that engaged in a gunfire exchange with Alibuza in Nkaatu ward in the Northern division of Iganga municipality.

The joint security forces cordoned off Nkaatu ward after receiving information that Alibuza was behind the attack on Gaddafi barracks where he killed Sgt Peter Eyagu and made off with two guns. During the operation, an unspecified number of soldiers including Kowe sustained injuries in the shootout. Security allegedly recovered two guns and 88 rounds of live ammunition alongside other exhibits from Alibuza’s residence.

A health worker from Iganga general hospital told URN on condition of anonymity that a team of UPDF medical personnel beefed up their resident surgical team. However, Kowe who was hit in a sensitive area couldn’t make it. He noted that three other injured soldiers are out of danger and positively responding to treatment.

A team of UPDF personnel picked up the deceased’s body from the mortuary. Busoga East police spokesperson, Diana Nandawula confirmed the death of a UPDF soldier but declined to divulge details, saying they will issue a detailed report about the operation after concluding their inquiries.

Source: The Observer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Subscription

Subscribe to our newsletter