13 people have been killed today Tuesday in Ntoroko district during an an armed attack by the Allied Democratic Force (ADF) rebels, the army has said.
According to army spokesperson Felix Kulayigye, among the dead are a civilian and soldier and at least 11 rebels. Kulayigye says about 20-30 ADF fighters crossed R.Semuliki into Ntoroko and carried out attacks on Kyobe and Kayanja II villages in Bweramule sub county.
Ntoroko district is bordered by the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the west where ADF rebels have their bases.
The Rwenzori region has been a hotbed for the ADF for more than 30 years, operating in Kasese, Kabarole, and Bundibugyo districts.
On June 8, 1998, the rebels raided Kichwamba Technical College in Kabarole district and burnt 80 students to death in three dormitories. The rebels also abducted more than 100 students.
Last year, the UPDF launched joint air and artillery raids with the Congolese army (FARDC) against the ADF key bases in the eastern DRC.
The operation, code-named, “operation Shujja” was mainly focusing on weakening the ADF bases in Yayuwa, Tondoli, Beni One, and Beni Two. The government has accused ADF rebels of being behind strings of suicide bombings and the recent attacks on police stations where a number of officers have been killed and several guns stolen.
Source: The Observer